By Fred Hoyle (auth.), Dr. B. G. Sidharth (eds.)
Shortly after its inauguration in 1985 the Birla technology Centre, Hyderabad, India, begun a sequence of lectures via Nobel Laureates and different scientists of foreign renown, frequently in Physics and Astronomy, occasionally in lifestyles Sciences and Chemistry.
The current assortment often includes lectures on frontier themes. The transcript of every lecture is preceded by way of a quick biography of the Nobel Laureate/Scientist in question.
The lectures are geared toward, and obtainable to a large non-specialist yet larger knowledgeable audience.
Read or Download A Century of Ideas: Perspectives from Leading Scientists of the 20th Century PDF
Similar scientists books
As the box of technology, expertise & Society (STS) is inter-disciplinary, this A-to-Z assortment offers scientists from backgrounds as various as early aviation know-how and glossy computing device technology. There are compelling biographies of biophysicists, chemists, physicians, electric engineers, psychologists, pathologists, mathematicians, and extra.
Within the Nineteen Sixties, Leipzig was once the heart of resistance in East Germany. Harald Fritzsch, then a physics pupil, reflected get away. yet prior to he left, he desired to exhibit to the govt they had long past too a long way after they destroyed St. Paul's Church in might 1968. He comprehensive that through unrolling a protest transparency in outstanding type.
Wings over Illinois recounts global battle II veteran Arthur Abney’s illustrious aviation occupation, successfully documenting a span in our personal nation’s historical past from the vantage of the skies. Abney describes a life of event, from his time as an keen younger pilot with the Flying Egyptians to his journey of provider in the course of global battle II, his years with the Illinois division of Aeronautics, American airways, and the Southern Illinois collage Aviation administration and Flight software.
This paintings deals a precis of the ebook "THE unintentional BILLIONAIRES: The Founding of fb" by means of Ben Mezrich. Ben Mezrich is a graduate of Harvard college. He has released ten books together with Bringing Down the home, Rigged and unsightly americans. Bringing Down the home was once the foundation for the motion picture 21 which used to be published in spring, 2008.
- Manhattan Project to the Santa Fe Institute : the memoirs of George A. Cowan
- The Man Who Stalked Einstein: How Nazi Scientist Philipp Lenard Changed the Course of History
- Sir Rudolph Peierls: Selected Private and Scientific Correspondence
- The Queen's Conjurer: The Science and Magic of Dr. John Dee, Advisor to Queen Elizabeth I
- Darwin, His Daughter, and Human Evolution
- Oliver Heaviside: the life, work, and times of an electrical genius of the Victorian age
Additional resources for A Century of Ideas: Perspectives from Leading Scientists of the 20th Century
5) Alignment. With the ﬁnal microscopic beam size in the interaction point the alignment, especially of the ﬁnal parts of each linac, must be highly stable and vibrations must be suppressed. All these problems (and some additional ones) are being studied at CERN and elsewhere. We hope that this may lead to a realistic project somewhere at the end of this decade. The cost of such a machine is diﬃcult to estimate at the present state of design. However, it seems probable that great eﬀort will be needed to keep it similar to the cost of the most recent CERN machines – of the order of one billion swiss francs.
The problem here is that for this frequency no powerful sources exist. The Klystrons used for 3 GHz cannot easily be scaled up to 30 GHz, since this would also imply a reduction of their dimensions and would therefore reduce their power handling capacity. a great deal of eﬀort has therefore been spent on designing 30 GHz power sources. 8 Generation of High-Frequency Power The Stanford linear accelerator consists of about 900 sections, each 3 m long, and each of them excited by a high-power Klystron.
The primitive atmosphere had no oxygen. It was an atmosphere of reducing compounds like Ammonia and Methane and water and Hydrogen. They were broken down by the ultraviolet light of the sun and turned into amino acids and similar compounds and eventually built up into quite complicated polymeric molecules which eventually were able to develop as living things. The process which occurs today which is responsible for all our energy, all our food, all our gas, coal, oil, wood, Energy and Evolution 47 all our fuels is this wonderful process of photosynthesis, a process whereby the energy of the sun is absorbed by the green leaf and that solar energy is used to combine carbon dioxide and water from the atmosphere to make oxygen and food.